This technique helps you to create a set of controlled conditions in which to test the validity of a hypothesis.
Use this to...
- Test the validity of your thinking.
- Draw conclusions about possible cause and effect based on future decisions.
Call for back-up! If you’re finding it difficult to identify the problem, why not try a Brainstorming session first?
Watch out for...
Off the shelf thinking. Make sure your experiment is tailored to the hypothesis you are trying to test.
- Check the business theme that you are trying to understand further during this sprint. Check for clarity and alignment.
- As a team review the available data and evidence. Connect to the analytics group member who can help you here.
- Based on your data agree a likely hypothesis. Iterate together and leverage the experience of the group.
- Design an empirical test of your hypothesis. Start brainstorming.
- Conduct the experiment. What does the data show you? Does your hypothesis still hold true?
- What questions do we need to ask against your business theme? Drive for clarity and share your thinking for context.